Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sixto Rodriguez

For those of you who haven't heard of Sixto Rodriguez.. .. He is one of my favourite singers of all time! For some reason he isn't as well know in other countries as much as he is well known in South Africa. Us South Africans spread his music around like wild fire! Our children and their children and our great grand children will know his music! He is a legend in this country!

Visit his website to learn more Sugarman . I love his music! The lyrics are amazing. There are no djembe rhythms in his music that I can recall but his words and the tunes are very much up my ally. Ask most South Africans who he is and they can certainly tell you.. a childhood memory.. teenage years of laughter or a reminder of our youth.. I am still young..in my 30's urgh.. but the young and the old both appreciate his music.

His album Cold Fact plays at least twice a week in my home. It's one of those albums that you can't help but sing along as loudly as possible. I sing it loud and proud even though I don't have a good singing voice. Rodriguez Rocks!

2 comments:

  1. He is awesome! I heard a rumour that they discovered him working at a petrol station before his comeback?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is amazing. I heard he was a brick layer when they found him and that he had no idea he was famous... in South africa. Check his website :)

    ReplyDelete